What to Expect Throughout the Day
View Frequently Asked Questions
We have had all sorts of people come to our concealed handgun license class. From young to old, short to tall, male to female, deaf to one armed. And we aren't kidding! We have had avid shooters and brand new shooters. We work with you on your level to make sure you feel comfortable when you pull that trigger! Our schedule is easy to follow and we make sure you understand the laws. Below is a brief overview of what you can expect when attending our concealed handgun license class.
Times may vary:
7:15am: Check in
- We will need to have a minimum of 4-6 hours of classroom instruction plus the range time.
- The time schedule can vary a little through the day, but will be no less than the 4-6 hours required by the State of Texas.
- Weapon Safely Rules
- Range rules
- Target Type
- More firearm safety
- All persons will have to follow the range and safety rules or be dismissed from the class
- There will be a performance test (shooting) during the day
- Also a Proficiency test (written) at the end of the day
8:30am: Head to the firing range
8:45am - 10:00am: Range objectives
- Pick up your targets, eyes and ears protection
- Break into the groups 'if need be' to complete the firing qualifications
- After each group completes the firing section and is given a passing nod, you may head back to the classroom.
- Sometimes someone will have to shoot again. If this happens, don't be discouraged. Spend some time practicing before we give our next class, and then you can join us during an upcoming class to finish just the shooting portion.
Times are tentative and may vary Barring any traffic or road problems
10:00am - 10:15am: Back at the classroom
10:15am - 11:00am: Objectives
- Laws relating to the use of weapons and deadly force
- Handgun use, proficiency, and safety
- Nonviolent dispute resolutions
- Proper storage practices, eliminate the possibility of injury to a child
- Chapter 411 and new CHL changes
- Please feel free to ask as many questions as you want, it is your benfit in doing so
11:00am - 11:10am: Break
11:10am - 12:00pm: More Chapter 411 Subchapter H
- Eligibility requirements
- Places you can and cannot carry
- Such as the 51% sign is displayed (alcohol on premises consumption) or the sign is not displayed, but should be
- Penal Code Section 30.06 Sign Posting
12:00pm - 1:00pm: Brown Bag Lunch and Penal Code
1:00pm - 2:00pm: Non - Violent Dispute, Proper Storage, & Eliminating danger to children
2:00pm: Take written test, grade test
- Go over all paperwork
- Making sure everyone has everything completed before leaving
- Any final questions
* We have breaks about every 45 minutes. We are all adults though, so feel free to get up and take care of business anytime you feel the need. No need to ask.